Sunday, April 14, 2013

Extreme Couponing

So I was watching "Extreme Couponing" earlier today while eating lunch.  Yeah I know, I really need to get a life, but like a train wreck, I had to stop and take a peek.  This woman was loading up on a bunch of shit at the grocery store with the goal of paying little or nothing with the help of coupons and store discounts.  I even saw one women get a credit! 

Kind of a cool concept if you want to load up on a hundred bags of Cheetos, or fifty boxes of cat food, or any other useless garbage to ingest.  What really left me flabbergasted was after one shoppers triumph she commented along the lines of the following:  (I'm paraphrasing) "I just don't understand why anyone would go hungry when I just bought 3,000 dollars worth of groceries for under 50 dollars."

The fuck?

On the very few occasions when I've caught bits and pieces of this show I've hardly ever seen much worthwhile that anyone would need to buy in bulk.  I guess what I'm wondering from anyone out there that takes couponing to the extreme, do you every buy anything that you really want or need?  Even for light couponers, do you tend to buy items that you might otherwise skip because you happened upon a coupon in the Sunday paper? 

I guess on the plus side some people do this in order to donate their haul to local food banks, etc.  An admirable goal but still, I think a soup kitchen would be better served receiving goods with a higher food value.  Admittedly I could be wrong about what kinds of items people are snagging since it's not something I'm want to watch regularly.  Though, I've yet to see an extreme couponer loading up on a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables.

America.

No comments: