Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Conservative Hyperbole


I love this cartoon I found the other day online. It pretty much sums up how I feel about what the loony bird conservatives have been saying for the last two plus years. With the horrendous events in Arizona last week none of the right wingers are willing to discuss if their over the top speech has any kind of impact on the recent violence. Here's a couple of examples of what I'm talking about:

"I hope that's not where we're going, but you know if this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking toward those Second Amendment remedies and saying my goodness what can we do to turn this country around? I'll tell you the first thing we need to do is take Harry Reid out." - Sharron Angle

"I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us 'having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,' and the people -- we the people -- are going to have to fight back hard if we're not going to lose our country." - Rep. Michele Bachmann

I've had discussions with my conservative friends on Facespace about the effect that some of these quotes may have had on the nut case who decided to shoot an Arizona Congresswoman in the head. Rather than having a discussion I'm always dismissed with one of two arguments: the left in this country is just as vitriolic in their rhetoric or somehow I want to deny people their Constitutional rights to free speech or the right to bear arms.

So I'm asking anyone who cares to comment, is it possible that the kind of right wing speech we've seen over the last couple of years has had an impact on the events in Arizona? Am I being a commie pinko liberal for even bringing up the possibility that what someone says has possible repercussions? Ones views do not evolved in a vacuum.

No comments: