Friday, December 10, 2010

Not Asking


I guess everyone's seen the news that the military bill, including the DADT (Don't Ask Don't Tell) repeal, has once again failed in the U.S. Senate. Once again I'm extremely disappointed but not surprised.

Where do proponents of the repeal go from here? There may still be some light at the end of the legislative tunnel this lame duck session of Congress. The repeal of DADT could be brought back up as a stand along bill or if that fails the President, as Commander in Chief, could issue a stop loss order so that no service members could be discharged under the policy. I have more faith in Congress than the President, how sad is that statement? Maybe the President's balls will drop sometime soon...

So, who's to blame for this latest failure in the Senate? Everyone. The President is to blame for showing zero leadership on this issue. The "just say no" Republicans in the Senate for wanting more debate on an issue we've been talking about for years. Finally, Senator Reid for bringing up a vote when he had to obviously know that it wouldn't bring cloture. From what I understand Senator Lincoln was at the dentists during the vote for Christ's sake!

Here's hoping that our gay and lesbian service members, some who I know, will be free from discrimination by the end of the 111th Congress. I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: