Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Inception

Mind Fuck

"Something that seriously fucks with your brain, such as watching Fight Club every night for a week. Trust me on this."

"To experience a situation which calls into question the way your mind currently sees a certain idea or the world in general. Such an experience usually leaves the person stunned/speechless while he/she begins wrapping his/her mind around the new idea."

Has anyone seen the movie Inception? The two definitions above from Urban Dictionary are appropriate when describing this movie.

In a nutshell, without giving too much away, technology has advanced to a point where people can enter each others dreams for the purpose of "stealing" valuable information. The movie takes this premise and asks if it would be possible to incept a thought or idea into someone's mind. It's all pretty simple and thought provoking until you start dealing with dreams inside of dreams inside of dreams!

I really can't say more without giving the premise away other than this movie totally blew me away and continues to do so as I still try to wrap my head around what I saw. I think a second viewing is in order.

Superb cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy (wow, does he look different from his Star Trek: Nemesis days), Ken Watanabe, Cillian Murphy, Tom Berenger and Marion Cotillard. Excellent music and special effects also lend themselves to the overall experience.

I especially enjoyed how the movie didn't get bogged down in explaining the technology behind dream sharing, it was simply stated that it was developed by the military. One other point, there was a physics defying scene in a hotel hallway that was perhaps one of the best movie experiences I've seen in quite some time.

Go see this movie now then tell me what you thought!

1 comment:

Dann said...

I've heard nothing but good things. I can't wait to see it!