Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Dirty Job

I'm slowly getting back into the flow of things at work. Being bored, browsing the Internet, and hanging out on Facespace. Also reading again. It's been around two weeks since I picked up the book I started before my work trip to Chicago, "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore. The premise of the book from the back cover:

"Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay - until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death. It's a dirty job. But, hey! Somebody's gotta do it."

Moore certainly writes on a variety of subject from what I gather, though this is only the second novel by him that I've read. I went from reading about the lost apostle and best friend to Jesus Christ in "Lamb" to death merchants and the underworld in "A Dirty Job." Quite a swing. No matter the subject, Moore has a knack at storytelling in a quirky and funny way. His characters are colorful, quirky, and funny as well.

The only complaints I would have about the novel is the length and the predictability of the story. The book comes up just short of 400 pages which isn't bad but I felt it could be trimmed down a little for such light reading. I also saw how the conclusion of the book was going to play out fairly early on. Minor nit picks to be sure, recommended for a nice and easy read that will have you chuckling throughout.

No comments: