Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chicago Trip Day 3

One of my favorite days in Chicago was on my third day, last Thursday. By this time the wheels were already working in my head on how I could extend my trip through the weekend as I was scheduled to return to Oklahoma City on Friday night. I had an easy day training at work and made arrangements to go out for some sushi with Jason in the early evening. I had whined a little about the lack of good food around the Magnificent Mile so Jason was gracious enough to show me around.

We started out the night by meeting at Crate and Barrel (the only store I actually physically entered besides Walgreens on the Magnificent Mile). From there I was lead to Friends Sushi. The place was great, low lighting, modern, intimate. The server we had, an adorable Asian girl, was helpful suggesting a Thai beer to me I'd never had, Singha. She also suggested a salmon roll to go along with one of the tuna rolls we had and some tuna sashimi. While the overall experience was fabulous, I was a little disappointed in the food. The sushi wasn't bad, I was just expecting something really great, considering I was in Chicago. I was also under the impression, as was Jason I think, that we ordered a couple of spicy rolls that ended up having very little heat to them.

A picture of me at Friends Sushi, I really think my face looks fat without facial hair.


Next on the agenda was drinks at the recently completed Trump Tower. We went up to a restaurant called Sixteen (guess which floor it was on) and sat outside on The Terrace at Trump. With the recent rain the weather was fantastic in the 70's and the view of the surrounding buildings was breaktaking.

The view from The Terrace at Trump. Not a great picture, taken from my cell phone.


The bathroom at The Terrace at Trump was so swanky they had individual hand towels instead of paper towels in the bathroom. I don't know why I get such a kick out of this!


Next Jason took me to the Loop and nearby Millennium Park to see Cloud Gate, also known as "The Bean".

"The Bean." I was unable to get a good picture at night so I ripped this picture off from here.

We walked around the Loop and made our way to a trendy bar called Roof at the Wit hotel. Another great outdoor experience with great weather. Throughout the club there's fire pits that you can stand or sit around producing a great experience. I didn't even know we were outside until Jason pointed it out to me!

Outside the Wit.

We finally finished off our adventures downtown at the Second Story Bar, supposedly Chicago's only gay bar in downtown. Extremely small, dark, and a bit dingy. My kind of place!

Jason and I at the Second Story Bar.

There's actually one more adventure from my third night out in Chicago but I'm inclined to leave it out at the moment. Not all experiences should be shared, maybe. Some of my friends will know what I'm talking about...

No comments: