Tuesday, June 22, 2010

We Are Family (is that clichéd?) (Repost from 6-28-2005)

For the next couple of weeks I'll be reposting some of my favorite posts over the years to celebrate the 5th birthday of my blog. Since it's Gay Pride week here in Oklahoma City, here's my first ever post about the yearly event. It seems like a really long time ago, I hardly ever see Miles anymore:

PRIDE!

Saturday and Sunday I celebrated
Gay Pride weekend with some friends. After the fall of civilization that was gay marriage (or lack thereof) in Massachusetts I was glad to see a good turn out in OKC. We started the morning off with Dim Sum brunch at Grand House followed by a stroll through Memorial Park. Missing this year at the park was the three-story blow up bottle of lube; we figured it wasn’t present this year since everything is about family and the children these days. The booths were interesting and there were a lot of diverse people in the crowd. We signed a lot of petitions, took lots of free crap, and entered every drawing we could find. I still don’t know what I’m going to do if I win that Grill Master 3000. Other than the sweltering heat and Miles singing and dancing we had a good time.

Sunday I went down to the strip and hung out with Miles again at
the Park until the parade started. Once again the turn out was good but the heat was overbearing. I didn’t stay out too long after the parade; trying to pack into Angles with 25,0000 sweaty people for free draw beer isn’t very appealing. It was good to run into a lot of people that I haven’t seen in a while, and I had a blast with all the festivities as I do every year. I’ll post some pictures of the parade a little later today or tomorrow.

No comments: