Thursday, June 17, 2010

Top Chef: D.C.

Another season of Top Chef and another round of recaps every Thursday. Hang with me on this one readers, it's been a while since I did a Top Chef posting and I've got a killer hangover! Another warning, I'm not even going to try to discuss all of the contestants, it's going to take me a couple of episodes to remember who everyone is. So with all that out of the way, my Top Chef D.C. recap:

The quick fire challenge consisted of a marathon of sorts where little by little contestants were eliminated gradually. The legs of the marathon: peel ten potatoes, brunoise ten cups of onions, break down four chickens, and then cook a dish using those ingredients. After each leg of the marathon the slowest contestants were eliminated until finally they were down to just four chefs left for the actual cooking. Oh and here's the twist, win the challenge and bag 20,000 dollars! Sweet. The four contestants left were Angelo, Kevin, Timothy, and Kenny. Angelo ultimately wins the first quick fire challenge which, if history repeats itself, means that he'll be around for a long time in the competition.

On to the elimination challenge! The challenge is to simply cook a dish to represent where you're from. I like these kinds of challenges, free of any bizarre foods or rules, simply cook. The top four of the first elimination challenge: Angelo, Kenny, Alex, and Kevin. The bottom four: Jacqueline, Stephen, John, and Timothy. Angelo wins again and John is sent packing.

First episode observations:

Holy shit are Padma's bubbies huge! I take it she's still breast feeding? Look out Gail, there's a new sheriff in town.

I like the addition of Eric Ripert as a judge. So long Toby Young, you will not be missed!

White men can't cut. Look at the final four of the quick fire challenge.

Are the girls going to be a bunch of weak sisters for the second season in a row?

Did one of the girls slice her hand open during the quick fire challenge? We were on our fourth bottle of wine at this point, it was hard to concentrate.

I get the impression that Jacqueline has some skills but her Chicken Liver and Port Wine Mousse looked like ass. I thought it would come down to either her or John going home but I picked John at the last moment as did all of us watching, if I recall correctly.

I think the best candidate for villain so far is Angelo. He's definitely got the hair! My friends and I last night are kind of on the fence over this. We'll see how it plays out. He didn't show an obvious level of douschebaggery that was apparent from others in previous season such as Mike Isabella, Eli, and Marcel to name a few.

My final four predictions in no particular order (sorry ladies):

Angelo
Kenny
Kevin
Arnold (Just because he's fabulous!)

Finally I want to present the first ever "Bye Felicia" award. I'll hand this out every week to the contestant who I think should have been sent home even if they weren't. Luckily this week I agree with the judges, John should have been let go. Bye Felicia!

_______

Once again, this year, some friends and I are going to try to have Top Chef night every Wednesday. Basically we rotate to a different house each week where the host prepares a meal while the others bring drinks. Up first this week was Dann. His menu:

Insalata Caprese (Fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil)
Chipotle and honey glazed salmon
Parmesan dusted roasted asparagus
French Boule (classic hard-crusted French peasant bread)
Blueberry Scones

Wine (7 Deadly Zins, St. Supery Sauvignon Blanc, and couple of Rieslings the girls brought, I can't remember the brand)

I have to say, I was quite impressed with the meal. Who knew Dann could cook? Some pictures of the food and the night:






4 comments:

Allison said...

OMG! I want to come over every week. I have no one to talk to about the shenanigans (i.e. Padma's bubbies) besides my cat. My husband likes to watch, but he gets annoyed because I will pause and rewind quite a bit to make notes on the show.

ANYWAY, great recap. It took me a while to get going on mine also as it has been so long since the last one.

I think Angelo is going to be around for a while, and sadly, it does seem like the ladies are weak sauce. I'm trying to make any bold predictions, though, because things might shake out differently over the next few weeks.

Happy TC season!

Dave said...

It's a minor miracle I remember as much as I did. Note to self don't get wasted before the show starts!

Dann said...

Last night was a blast! Here is my pick, in no particular order:

Angelo
Jacquline - I think she will suprise us all!
Kenny
Kevin

Dave said...

As long Jacquline stays away from making cat food, perhaps.