Friday, May 28, 2010

Fight Club

From Goodreads: "This underground classic first published in 1996 tells the darkly funny story of a god-forsaken man who discovers that his rage at living in a world filled with failure and lies cannot be pacified by an empty consumer culture."

I was aware for some time that "Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk was a novel before it was a movie. I love the movie and I've seen it more times than I can count. It's one of those movies, like "The Godfather," that you stop channel surfing to watch even though it's on basic cable with commercial interruptions. I've been interested in reading one of Palahniuk's novels for a while so I thought why not start with "Fight Club" since I enjoyed the movie so much and usually books are much better than their celluloid remake. In this case I will say that the novel and movie are of equal merit. There is so much translated from movie to book that I was a little disappointed in not getting a little more from the 220 pages I read. There are some minor deviations to the story that are not present in the book and the ending is a little different but other than that, the movie is a great representation. If you haven't seen the movie, read the book first and then rent the movie. If you have seen the movie I would still recommend the book but just be aware that there isn't going to be too many surprises.

Favorite line from the book: "Marla said she wanted to have Tyler's abortion." This was actually filmed for the movie but was replaced with the line: "I haven't been fucked like that since grade school." The book and movie just ooze great line after great line.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Holy bad typing Batman! I've had to edit this post several times for typos!!