Thursday, January 07, 2010

Nintendo Wii Top Three in 2010

2009 was a pretty lean year for fans of Nintendo games on the Wii. What I mean is games produced and published by Nintendo themselves. In my opinion there were only two standouts, Punch-Out!! and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. 2010 looks to be a whole lot better just based on the expected release of merely three games. Here's my top three most anticipated Nintendo Wii games this year:

Super Mario Galaxy 2



Looks to be more of the same as Super Mario Galaxy with our favorite green dinosaur, Yoshi, thrown into the mix. Even if it is a rinse and repeat game, I'll happily buy and play it. There are, however, some additions I'd like to see. I'd like to see the difficulty level taken up a notch and it would be nice to have a true two player co-operative experience (not that I have anyone to play with me but just in case I do make some friends this year). Out of my top three games of 2010, I expect this one to be the earliest release of the year.

Metroid: Other M



Hmmm. I love the Metroid series going all the way back to the original game on the Nintendo Entertainment System up to the very latest installment on the Wii, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I'd be extremely happy with another Retro Studios produced Metroid game, but it appears Nintendo is collaborating with Team NINJA for a fresh approach. I have to say that I'm not too impressed with Team NINJA's work but with Nintendo holding their hand I'm sure the results will turn out well.

The graphics from the trailer for Other M looks great and the style of game play, at least partially, looks to move between a first person perspective to a third person perspective. If implemented correctly this could be a killer game. Time will tell.

The Legend of Zelda


There are two things known about the next installment of The Legend of Zelda series for the Wii. Supposedly the picture above has something to do with the game and it is going to be released in 2010 according to Satoru Iwata. If it does release this year, I bet it will be a Christmas release. I think the girl at Link's back is his sword.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was a great entry in the Zelda series but I expect a little more from Nintendo this time around since this is the first true Zelda game for the Wii. Twilight Princess was a Wii/GameCube dual release. I'd like the next installment to be a little more challenging, I really never felt in danger of losing all of my hearts and dieing. I also think the scope of the game should be expanded to something truly grand. It's time for something off the chart Nintendo!

Anyone excited about a particular video game releasing this year?

No comments: