Monday, January 04, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

I'm usually not the kind of person that sets (and breaks) New Year's Resolutions each year. I thought this year I would list some goals that I'd like to accomplish. If I succeed, great. If not, no big deal, I'll just keep trying.

Read more: I read around 20 books the last few months of last year. I'd like to continue to read more and try to bump that number up to 50 by the end of this year. I have a ton of books on my reading list so this should be an easy goal.

Blog better: I would say write more blog entries but I've had that covered since mid July. So, I'll try to write better entries instead of the random posts I usually create.

Work on the house: I've lived in my house just over two years and besides taking down some wallpaper in the dining room, I haven't accomplished anything in the way of a remodel. I guess remodel is probably an extreme way to put it. What I really need to do is just some basic texture work and painting in the rooms. I'll save the kitchen for when, and if, I ever have money again.

Cook more: People often don't believe me when I tell them I can actually cook, I just hardly ever choose to do it. It's just me at home so it seems kind of a pain to go to the effort only for myself. I'm going to try and change that this year but that also entails going to the grocery store, a task I don't favor much.

Lose weight: I quit smoking last summer. Big mistake. That in conjunction with not bartending anymore (being active) put a lot of pounds on my frame. Naturally I started smoking again and I've lost a little of the extra weight but I'd be happy to shed 10 to 15 more pounds this year. Perhaps I'll try to quit smoking again in the near future but before I do I have to have a plan to deal with the weight gain.

Not go to jail: Should be an easy goal to accomplish, right? As I've written before I went to jail last year for a DUI (driving under the influence). Basically I'm going to be spending all of this year paying the fines, court costs, and probation fees. Since I had my driver's license reinstated last month, I haven't operated a motor vehicle while intoxicated. I've been careful to either not drink more than one cocktail, ride with a friend, or get a ride home after drinking if I'm in my own car. This a goal I absolutely guarantee I'll accomplish.

Grow up: Funny huh? What I mean is that it's time to start acting my age! It doesn't help that the majority of my friends or people I socialize with are in their mid-twenties and the last person I seriously dated was 21 at the time. I'll be 37 this year so I think it's time I stop going out so much, wasting money and acting the fool. I think what I mean is that I want to have fun and a social life but not at the expense of responsibility and maturity.

No comments: