Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Change of Heart

I was oozing on the sofa last night playing with my Wii (sounds dirty), killing time until the Thunder game started. I had music blaring from my computer room, the room just off the living room because there's only so much of the Animal Crossing soundtrack I can take. One of the songs that came up in the random shuffle on iTunes was "Change of Heart" by Cyndi Lauper.

This song will always remind me of the True Colors concert I saw with Matt, Justin, and Kim a couple of years ago at the Zoo Amphitheatre. The concert was crammed with several bands including Andy Bell, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the B-52's and headlined by Cyndi Lauper. Lauper opened her set with "Change of Heart."

Aside from the great music, beer, and sunburns, something that made the concert so memorable and funny was Justin and the baggie of weed he brought along to smoke during the concert after the sun went down. Every large concert I've ever attended I've smelled marijuana at some point during the show. This also includes indoor venues like the Dave Matthew's Band show I saw in Tulsa in October. I was floored that someone would have the balls to smoke a joint or a pipe in an indoor concert! Willie Nelson did open for Dave Matthews so that may have had something to do with it.

Anyways, by the time late afternoon turned into dusk, Justin was starting to get antsy to light up. Being a little nervous, since I normally don't do drugs in front of thousands of people, I told Justin to wait until dark and until we could smell other people smoking. This went on forever. Justin pestering Matt and I nonstop by asking: "now?" We continually kept telling him to wait. Finally just before dark I started to smell the unmistakable aroma of weed. I turn to Justin to tell him it's probably safe for him to at last "light up." He says "okay" in a funny voice. I look down and see him holding a joint! Apparently he broke the seal for the concert. Needless to say, everyone in the surrounding area of our section had a great time for the remainder of the show.

So that's my "Change of Heart" story. I think about that concert and marijuana and Justin's jonesing to light up for what seemed like an eternity and it always makes me smile or laugh (probably funnier at the time since we were drunk and/or high). Just for the record, I hate marijuana. I won't go into too much detail about it but I'll just say I think it's disgusting. Not that I'm judging, to each their own...

Below is a video of "Change of Heart."

No comments: