Sunday, December 06, 2009

It Doesn't Pay to Drink and Drive

I've mentioned a few times over the last few months what a wretched year this has been. There are many reasons for this but one that is most prominent was getting arrest in April. I hadn't written about the experience until now mainly due to an extreme amount of embarrassment and humiliation.

I went to a birthday party for a friend at Edna's on Sunday, April 5th. After many lunchboxes and shots I made my way to Nichos Hills to find the after party. I was pulled over in a residential area primarily for going ten miles under the speed limit. I refused to take a BAC (blood alcohol concentration) test and I was immediately arrested and hauled off to jail for a DUI (driving under the influence). I spent a few hours in the Nichols Hills jail and was eventually transferred to Oklahoma County jail.

I write about this experience now as a precautionary tale for those who do or who might drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Here's what you can expect to pay for a first time DUI offense in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County:

Cour costs, fees, and fines: $2000.00
State required drug and alcohol assessment/evaluation: $160.00
10-hour DUI class fee: $150.00
Lawyer: $750.00 (I found a really cheap attorney)
Drivers license reinstatement fee: $315.00
Vehicle impound and towing: $150.00
Victim Impact Panel (VIP) class: $50.00
Total probation fees: $960.00
Bail: $180.00

That's a grand total of $4715.00! That's probably a conservative estimate! It does not include increases to my auto insurance. So if I drank ten beers and shots on that Sunday night (probably a conservative estimate) it cost me $417.50 a drink.

Aside from the monetary cost, you will be taken to jail, an experience I assure you that isn't pleasant, and lose your license for a minimum of 6 months. The last time I drove a car was May 5th. I should have my license reinstated early next week.

I will never, never, never drive a car again when I'm intoxicated and urge all readers out there to do the same. Remember, not only are the fines and fees costly but it could be a whole lot worse, you could kill yourself or someone else. Take a cab home, or better yet take a cab out initially when you know you're going to be drinking.

No comments: