Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today I celebrated a traditional Thanksgiving meal with my family, cedar plank salmon. OK, maybe not so traditional! We ate at Deep Fork Grill. Sometimes we do the big meal thing and sometimes we eat out depending on how many of us are together for the holiday. Last year we celebrated a day late due to Lo's birth. You can read about that event here.

Years ago I lived with a partner, for lack of a better term. We started dating when I was 19, eventually we moved in together and lived in a kind of "marriage" for ten years. The last Thanksgiving we spent together we went to a friend's house to celebrate with a few other couples. Very traditional spread, turkey and all that, yadda, yadda, yadda. Before we began the feast, we went around the table and shared with each other what we were thankful for that year. I can't remember what me or my partner said, but as soon as we listened to the others around the table, I recall clearly now what we failed to say. Neither of us mentioned that we were thankful for each other! How funny. How sad. I have no clue why I thought about that time today but when I did it made me sob nearly uncontrollably. Fuck the past, right? That was a long time ago. Why do I still carry that kind of shit around with me?

"Life is short, time is flying, I'm looking for baggage that goes with mine." It's from RENT in case you don't know the reference.

This year I'm thankful, as always, for my family who continue to support and love me no matter what. In good years and in bad years. This year has been especially bad, a real beauty. Definitely the year of the Ox. It's almost over.

I'm also grateful for my friends, past and present, even those that I hold a grudge against... for a decade or two... I'm especially thankful for my friendship with Kim, even though she thinks it was me who broke the "let us have shots" seal last night. Funny. She never judges and always fiercely supports me. She is a totally super bad ass person, in a good way! Her battle cry: "I'm a grown ass woman!"

So that's it, I'm done with my bitter party of one for the day. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: