Friday, October 09, 2009

Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

I headed to my computer at home this morning after waking, droopy and tired as I always do. I usually check the news of the day before showering and starting my day. I was shocked to see that President Obama had won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. My first reaction was "for what?". After reading the details I can understand the decision but I still think it's a little early.

"President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism."

President Obama joins only two other sitting Presidents to win the Prize. He joins President Theodore Roosevelt who won in 1906 and President Woodrow Wilson who was awarded the prize in 1919.

So is this award a repudiation of the Bush years by the left leaning committee? Does Obama deserve the reward for his work on lowering carbon emissions or for his work with Russia in lowering nuclear stockpiles or for his efforts to open up dialogues with the Middle East? I'm not sure. He at least has just over three years to prove the committee right.

Link

No comments: