Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Technical Support Horror Story of the Day

For those of you who don't know I'm working a new job now, of sorts. I worked for a medical software company from 2000 to 2005, after which I toiled in the restaurant industry until April of this year. I'm half way through my second week back with the medical software company. They found out that I was looking for a job and asked me to come back. Luckily I've found that I remember more than I forgot so I've been able to hit the ground running for the most part but there are two important lessons I had totally forgotten about until today...

1. The first rule of tech support is this: the client is always lying. That's not to say they're doing it on purpose. It just seems you never get the correct or full information needed. Being told a claim form is printing misaligned is not the same as the claim form not marking the correct boxes!

2. The second rule of tech support is this: do nothing to a client's system unless you can get them back to the point they were at before they asked for your help. Changing something in someone's system without making a backup is not fun when you have to clean up the mess you created!

I experienced both today. Number 1 is always true and number 2 should be easy to follow. Luckily I was able to worm myself out of the problem I created. The details aren't important but always remember the rules must be obeyed!

No comments: