Sunday, August 23, 2009

Inglourious Basterds

I just returned from seeing Quentin Tarantino's latest movie, Inglourious Bastards. Typical Tarantino flick, interesting story and dialogue with some violence mixed throughout played out by a superb cast. I won't spoil the film for those of you who haven't seen it but don't go in expecting to see a typical Hollywood WWII epic. Expect Tarantino style WWII storytelling, for example there isn't one military battle scene in the movie. Everything is condensed into smaller sequences that all come together in the end. If you like Tarantino's other works, you'll enjoy this one as well.

I was a little put off by the subject matter initially, WWII, Nazi's and the holocaust, but I got over it quickly as nothing seemed too tasteless. The only other nit I had was personal. My mom kept asking me what they were saying every time there was dialogue not presented in subtitles (only a small portion in German that doesn't amount to much). Prepare to be reading a good portion of the movie's dialogue this way. All in all I would definitely recommend this movie, probably my third or fourth favorite Quentin Tarantino film.

No comments: